- What type of people do you hire?
- Where can I find more information on your entry level positions?
- Why do some of your openings require U.S. Citizenship?
- What if I require special assistance or accommodation to apply for a job at Vigor Industrial?
- I don't have a computer or internet access at home, how do I apply for a position?
- What happens if I leave part(s) of my applications blank?
- What if I don't want to provide the EEO information requested on the application?
- How do I tell if you are offering Relocation for this position?
- I am having technical issues submitting my application, what do I do?
- How do I know my application was received?
- How can I obtain my application status?
- How long before I know what is happening?
- The job I applied for is no longer on your website, did you fill it?
- Who is the recruiter handling the position for which I applied?
- I really want to tour the shipyard. Is that possible?
- Is parking an issue?
- I saw very limited information about benefits in the advertisement, can you tell me more?
- What does this position pay?
- The salary I am expecting for this type of position is different than what you listed in your screening questions. Are you going to rule me out based on that?
- What does Vigor Industrial require in terms of post-offer screening requirements?
- Why was someone else selected for this position?
1. What type of people do you hire?
We have a myriad of skills sets present in the shipyard. While most people are familiar with the skilled work being done, such as Welders, Painters, and Machinists; we also have corporate positions, like Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology and Administrative Assistants. The people who make up our teams have a variety of education as well: GED's, Job Corps, Community College, University Degrees, Post-Secondary Education, Technical Schools, Officer Training School, and Hard Knocks, just to name a few. We welcome all qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply for openings. At the end of the day we want to hire people who emulate the Vigor Code: Be smart, be careful, be productive, be flexible, and be considerate.
Vigor Industrial, and our wholly owned subsidiaries, practice Equal Opportunity Employment. All of our business units comply with Affirmative Action regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, protected veteran, or any other protected status.
2. Where can I find more information on your entry level positions?
All openings that are actively accepting applications will be listed on the website. If you are looking for something entry level in the trades, those positions are usually listed as "Helper." However, it is recommended that you take the time to read a few positions to understand the skills and experience required, as some entry level openings may not be obvious by the title listed.
Several of our companies operate in conjunction with the unions. If a listed position is with a Vigor company that employs a Union Workforce, you have the option of calling the particular union office directly.
3. Why do some of your openings require U.S. Citizenship?
We have certain government contracts which require employees working on that particular project to be Citizens of the United States. We also have certain departments which work closely with the U.S. Government, and those positions require citizenship as well. When this is the case, the information will be listed in the posting, and it will be addressed again during the online application process. Unfortunately, in these circumstances we cannot consider anyone who is not a qualified U.S. Citizen.
Many of our openings do not require U.S. Citizenship, so we encourage you to apply for other positions for which you are qualified to fill.
4. What if I require special assistance or accommodation to apply for a job at Vigor Industrial?
Please call 877-778-8421 and follow the directions in a detailed message. Someone will attend to your request within two (2) business days.
5. I don't have a computer or internet access at home, how do I apply for a position?
Please call 877-778-6729 to learn how to identify where free computer and internet resources are available in your community.
6. What happens if I leave part(s) of my applications blank?
If it is a required field, noted by the red star (*) the system may not accept your application, and you will have to fill out that information prior to pressing "submit." If it is not a required field, but something that we feel is a piece of pertinent information to this position, we may ask during a phone screen or email screen.
Please note that leaving an area blank may result in you appearing to be not qualified. We encourage you to fill in your experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities as it relates to the job for which you are applying, to aid us in a comprehensive selection.
7. What if I don't want to provide the EEO information requested on the application?
You do not have to. We are required to present you the opportunity to supply this information, but you are under no obligation to provide it. Not providing EEO information has no effect on your qualifications or the selection process.
EEO information is kept confidential and is not part of your application. This means Hiring Managers will not see your EEO response, or lack of response.
Should you be offered a position, you will be given another opportunity to voluntarily provide this information.
8. How do I tell if you are offering Relocation for this position?
We discuss the details of possible relocation during the phone screen or email screen. However, if you have information regarding your relocation situation (i.e. you are planning a move, you require assistance in a move, you don't require assistance, etc.) we encourage you to simply address that in your cover letter.
9. I am having technical issues submitting my application, what do I do?
Make sure all the required fields have information listed in them. You can identify required fields by the red star (*) next to the box where information is requested.
If all the required fields are properly completed and you still receive errors, you can communicate with our service provider, HRM Direct through email at Support@ClearCompany.com. They will field your requests and help you navigate through the error response.
10. How do I know my application was received?
There will be an automatic email sent stating that your application has been received as is awaiting review. If you do not receive an email indicating the receipt of your online application, check your spam or junk mail box. If it is not there, double check your file in the online application system, and make sure you entered your email address correctly.
11. How can I obtain my application status?
We regret that is isn't possible to get back to each individual who applies for our job openings, however given the number of applications we receive, this just isn't practical. You will, however, receive some messaging from our Applicant Tracking System that should help keep you apprised of the status of your application. There are three levels of status, and you will receive up to three (3) emails regarding where you are in the process.
- We have received your application.
This is the email you will receive immediately following submission. If you don't see it in your email, check your spam or junk mail box. Sometimes responses are re-routed there.
- Your application is under review.
You will receive this email if you are being considered for an interview. This does not mean you will be called for an interview, but it does mean you are moving along in the process.
- Thank you for applying.
This means that we selected someone else for the position; it could also mean the position has been closed without being filled.
If you have applied online, it is not necessary to send extra copies of your resume or certifications to various email addresses within Vigor Industrial. Applying on-line is the appropriate and quickest way for a hiring manager to see your information.
12. How long before I know what is happening?
That depends. The average position is filled in less than 90 days. However, some positions take longer, and some are filled in less than 2 weeks. When we start reviewing applications, you will receive a status notification if you are being considered, or an email indicating you are not under consideration.
13. The job I applied for is no longer on your website, did you fill it?
We may have, but if we did you would have received a notification indicating such. If you haven't received a notification, please check your spam or junk mail box. We may have suspended the job for a short period, or cancelled the job. If the job has been suspended or cancelled, you will receive an email indicating what has happened. Another reason it is no longer on the site is that we may have received a substantial amount of applications, and closed the job to new applicants. In that situation, you will not receive a notification until we send out status updates.
14. Who is the recruiter handling the position for which I applied?
There is no blanket answer to who is working on what opening at what time. While we do have recruiters that manage the entire recruitment process, some managers prefer to do their own screening, and some units have office managers screening applications. But any automatic email notification that you have received from a Vigor company, has a real person on the end. If you have questions that are not covered here, please respond to that email. And we hope to answer your question(s) efficiently.
15. I really want to tour the shipyard. Is that possible?
A shipyard tour is a part of some interviews. Generally speaking, interviews that have shipyard tours are for Production Management, Project Management, Safety, Quality and Environmental type positions. If that is the case we will alert you prior to interview so you have available appropriate attire and footwear.
16. Is parking an issue?
The shipyard is a large environment, and parking is spread out. There are different parking instructions for each location. The parking instructions will be included with your interview confirmation.
17. I saw very limited information about benefits in the advertisement, can you tell me more?
As you may know, Vigor Industrial owns several companies. We pride ourselves on providing top-notch benefits packages. The benefits vary according to company, location, and union or non-union jobs. The way we have designed the program ensures that we provide the best option for each unit and the people employed. If you are selected for an interview, we are happy to discuss the details of the benefits provided at that time.
18. What does this position pay?
We don't advertise what the position pays, however we can discuss this with you if you are selected for an interview. Questions that you answer during the application process will help us better understand your requirements so that this can be taken into consideration during the screening and interview process.
19. The salary I am expecting for this type of position is different than what you listed in your screening questions. Are you going to rule me out based on that?
Many people have set expectations, but we also know total compensation has other factors, such as benefits or bonus programs, and that affects salary expectations. You will have the option to express your compensation expectations during the online application process. It is not our practice to rule anyone out based solely on salary expectations; as compensation is a total package and other factors often play a role.
20. What does Vigor Industrial require in terms of post-offer screening requirements?
All persons offered a job within any Vigor Industrial company will need to take a post offer/pre-employment drug and alcohol screen. We are happy to discuss the details of this test with you at time of offer.
Medical examinations such as respirator fit, lead and/or hearing screening may be also be necessary to help comply with Federal regulations and/or to ensure you meet the requirements for the position which you have applied.
Certain contracts we have with the U.S. Government also require background checks. If that is the case, you will be notified during the application process.
21. Why was someone else selected for this position?
Vigor Industrial is very fortunate to have many qualified and enthusiastic applicants submit their applications for open positions. We do not give specific detail as to why another person was chosen for the position. It is our practice to initially screen against the required knowledge, skills and abilities listed in the job requirements. Following this, we take into consideration how the applicant stacks up against the preferred knowledge, skills and abilities, if any, as our second level of screening. If you have not been selected for a position, we recommend that in the future you ensure that our job requirements are clearly reflected in the experience listed on your resume/application. We also encourage you to check for spelling and grammatical errors, as that may be a reason that we have moved forward with another applicant.
Again, we are very lucky to receive information from so many talented people, and we thank you for taking the time and effort to apply to Vigor Industrial or its subsidiaries.